'Ketchup Golem' 'Ketchup Golem'

I recognise this from a certain Animation Battle! Will you be scheming some ideas for May's Poorly Timed Time Machine? :)

Butzbo responds:

Yeah, 'Bad Magic' was a fun one!
I'll be looking for a good weekend for the current battle, the theme is great for a micro-short :D

These Video Game Jokes These Video Game Jokes

This idea of parodying a parody has been done to death.

We get it. There are animations / videos / memes out there that make bad video game jokes, which take little effort and originality yet are still very popular. Thing is, you're doing the exact same thing - taking content that already exists and poking fun at it. We've seen this all before in things like "Metal Gear Funnies" or "Wacky Game Jokes for Kids". I think the concept is now as unoriginal as the concept of a video game parody.

Do you know what I haven't seen yet? A parody that parodies a parody that is parodying a video game parody. That'd be interesting to see.

Your backgrounds are nice and character design is fun. Shame you used the concept as an excuse to rush the animations though.

Link the Chirri Chaser Link the Chirri Chaser

Mate, this is that scary step going from tween animation to proper frame by frame - with glorious backgrounds, music and having the animation do the work instead of the dialogue. Well done mate, it's a huge step!

Next - G Crew Session 2 no doubt. I want to seee a sequel with the green guy in it.

Date Night Date Night

Cracking. Excellent to see the series is still being kept alive and at top quality. Brilliant work.

Of Vice And Men Of Vice And Men

Mate, it's good to see an original idea and your animation style develop, good stuff.

Kickstarter Fandango Kickstarter Fandango

Was that Sonic's original friend "Blails" among his circle of friends?

Tumblin Tumblin

Beautiful.

It takes skill to make such an enjoyable loopable animation. Excellent choice of music that fits perfectly to the 'toon.

The Facebook Poke War The Facebook Poke War

Old idea...

Seriously, facebook poking is an old joke now, this animation just feels and looks 3/4 year too late.

The animation itself looked very 2D - a lack of shading/lighting probably made each scene look like a single layer, excusing a couple of facial expression changes. Experiment a little with the colours/shading/blurring perhaps to see if you can stand the characters out from the background.

Pretty bad choice of music too. The soundtrack is very overused - this animation seemed like it needed a kind of "wacky" cartoony theme to it instead of an "epic" one. When no lines are uttered, the music is very important. Perhaps browse over the audio portal to try and find some original music. Might make the animation stand out a little more.

One final thing, the title image - remember, this is the first thing people see when they check out your animation - make it looks more professional as opposed to some crudely drawn images from flash, and SERIOUSLY exlpore fonts - times new roman is only good for tax return forms and bank error statements!

Anyway, nice one, keep at it.

WooleyWorld responds:

"Anyway, nice one, keep it up"?
After that bash of a review and a 4, you're going to end with "nice one"?

right....

NiN10Doh: ToThe64thPower NiN10Doh: ToThe64thPower

Hmm...

Overall this collab was animated beautifully. That's something to be proud of I think, as most video game related parodies just seem to have no quality control. It's great to see such commitment to the overall quality of the movie and is deffo something to be proud about.

However, although all the animation was there, I just couldn't find the content within it. As amazing as most of the sketches looked, they seemed to finish as I was still expecting some sort of punchline or finishing gag. I'm not sure to blame bad writing or myself for not understanding most of the sketches.

Although only few, some of the sketches seemed to tie in together, for instance the hospital scene with pass casualties from previous sketches, but each sketch seemed to have a very different approach to humour. In theory this is a great idea to appeal to a wider audience, however it horrifically breaks up the pacing I found. Some of the sketches bought a smile to my face, to then be interrupted by some sort of obscure anime / furry / Sonic the Hedgehog parody (is he even Nintendo?). The longest sketch, the arguement within the Lylat team, especially dragged on. It was funny at first, if not overdone (Falco bitching, Slippy being annoying, etc. Seen it all before... in the Soopah Nintendo parody too if I'm not mistaken?) It didn't really end with a punchline, just awkwardness, again, which just broke the pacing of the animation I found.

It was refreshing to see such a high level of animation, but I think having a collab about "Nintendo" is FAR too broad as a theme for a collab. Fair enough to use Nintendo Characters, but I think more direction is needed for each sketch other than to say "animate something about Nintendo well". Each sketch in this collab could have happily been released as an individual animation as they made very little, if not, no effort at all to link together. I think the most successful part of the animaton was when the Lylat team came across the creepy moon from the Zelda sketch, as this was one of the few parts that made this animation feel like a collab, which is what this is supposed to be... right?

Shower Products for Men Shower Products for Men

Jesus, the quality?

Something I was not able to get over throughout the entire animation was the quality of it. Pixellated lines and blurry text/images? It looks like something exported from Windows Movie Maker and put onto YouTube... yet the YouTube link you put in your description is better quality? Seriously, you should consider fixing that asap as it seriously distracts from the effort you've put into this animation.

As for the animation itself, it's presented well, the characters look authentically funny. You capture this impatient, irate alpha male brilliantly. The biggest problem however is the length of this animation! It drags on!

I'm sorry to use it as an example, but you say yourself it was used as inspiration. The reason Powerthirst was so successful was because it was short, sweet and to the point. The length made it easy to remember which is why people quoted it often (and still do). In this toon however, the joke gets old fast. If the scenes continued to get shorter maybe, to not overstay their welcome, and the voice continued to get MORE INSANE and MORE OVER THE TOP, I seriously think that would have saved this. However, the voice sticks with one tone and seems to get less enthusiastic by the end which kind of kills it.

Also, come on, let's be fair for a second. You say the script is not connected to Powerthirst, but then animate it so it looks and sounds exactly the same as Powerthirst? Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

It was fun though, nice one, but please, fix the quality for NG!

Chag responds:

Well that was the point really, saw the script and thought, "Hey this would be awesome in a powerthirst esque style" so no I stand by when I say the original has no connection. But it was coincidentally similar, which is what inspired me to make it.

Again, I tried for a couple of weeks to get the movie out in a way that looked nice but was still under the file limit... It drove me insane and eventually caved, so I really wish there was something I could do about it. If I knew this problem was going to happen, I probably wouldn't have looped it through AfterEffects to begin with.

Other than that, great feedback and criticism. Appreciated =]